'Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again'

So, I'm off to the Philippines again. I'm sure those who usually read this are probably asking whether I do anything else but rant and jet off on holidays. Well the answer to that is no, that is all I do. In fact, I'm only a part-time student; procrastination, travelling and ranting are my main activities. Oh and maintaining the upkeep of this blog.

I like long haul flights because it usually means there are good flims to watch. With eleven hours to spare till my stop over I chose to watch The Book of Eli. A slow start at first, it later picked up culminating in a conclusion that proved to be a surprise. Succintly put, it's about a mnan who tries to protect the world's last Bible in what appears as a post-apocalyptic world. Without ruining the flim, the plot has a powerful message to tell. One line that struck me was that the Bible was a weapon, that it could change the world as it speaks to the hearts of all men. Religion can do the same. It can be used as a force of evil, where humanity is exploited and pain and suffering are inflicted. It can change the world, for better and for worse, and can speak to the hearts of all men, whether it be a profound truth or the equivalent to smallpox. Regardless of whether one takes notice or not, it cannot be avoided.

Another film I watched was The Lovely Bones. I don't know whether it was due to tiredness and restlessness, but watching this film was like being high on hallucinogenics - not that I would know. Anyway, anyone who has seen the film will know what I'm talking about. For those who haven't, have a sugar high, spin around ten times, let yourself fall to the ground, close your eyes and you'll get the picture.


I don't really know what to make of the film but I'm sure if I read the book I'd have better things to say about it. I did not intend for this, but it seems the films I have watched have serious religious under/overtones. I couldn't help but liken the place in between heaven and earth as Purgatory. The depiction in the film was nothing like I imagined it:

I expected more suffering, but I guess it's safe to assume that the producer is not a Catholic. Purgatory - if it exists - for me, is more like Dante's Puragtorio. The real experience of pain and suffering, but also the hope and assurance of something better, something akin to eternal joy and happiness is how I envision it.

If you haven't read Dante I would highly recommend that you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment