Thursday 8th September - Moaning, Modules and Matriculation

Postcolonial theology. I don't even really know what that is. Sure its theology after the colonial period, but what exactly does that mean? To be honest, I don't really care, but it's the only feasible module I can take in first semester. There are biblical studies modules but I gave that up in third year. Sad, but it just was not my forte. Even my enthusiasm to study Greek was not enough.

Doesn't Greek look fun?

Proof that enthusiasm can only take you so far in academia

I have high expectations of myself. Always have. Not only did I not enjoy biblical studies but I was utterly hopeless at it. I know it's essential to a theology degree but I want to graduate with a pass! Writing 3,000 words on Deuteronomy 6:4 (the Shema) was gruelling, just as trying to do a presentation on a hermeneutical method was. So much so I made a youtube video instead ... I still maintain that getting 98/100 in my Old Testament module at A-Level was a fluke.

I'm looking at maybe doing a module in the School of Philosophy instead. Christian symbolics: Creeds and Confessions doesn't sound very interesting, and I'm a bit bored of the Westminster Confession now. Postcolonial theology, you already know, is something I'm not even remotely interested in. But in the School of Philosophy, the modules are so enticing! There's one on Language and Reality, and even the Philosophy of Mathematics.

Matriculating online and I saw this. Meh. I owe the government more than that.

I'm beginning to wish I did a joint degree. The modules offered this year for Philosophy Honours students are not only in abundance, but even the titles are enough to seduce one into signing up. Here are a few:

Contemporary Philosophy of Language
Paradoxes
Philosophy of Creativity
Philosophy of Religion - My heart just skipped a beat reading this. I'm transferring. Screw postcolonial theology. I'm doing this module instead.
Life and Death
Philosophy of Art - When I saw this I thought "Damn, I'm going to have to choose between this and Philosophy of Religion", but it's ok. It's not available this year *phew*
Advanced Logic - I loved drawing logic trees.

It's a bit difficult going into the final year of a degree that you've somewhat lost interest in. There's only so much coasting one can do. I guess I'm lucky in that something about theology clicks with something quite natural inside me. It's hard to feign enthusiasm though. I could go into why and how things have changed but I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it at least three times somewhere on this blog.

Anyway, that was all a bit ... meh. I'll leave you with this random photo:

This is what happens when there's nowhere to hang one's crucifix. Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

No comments:

Post a Comment